Sunday, July 30, 2006

Ah...Summer

I realized a couple things this summer:
1. I don't need a boy to make my life complete. (Not that I wasn't aware of this before, but the understanding achieved new clarity and is therefore noteworthy:)
2. New experiences and new people reveal different aspects of your personality. They make you realize that even you don't know everything about yourself yet.
3. First impressions are sometimes far from correct.
4. Working with kids can be the greatest stress relief.
5. Life can change without warning. You can be certain about something one minute and change your mind the next. As Emerson once wrote, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.....Speak what you think now in hard words, and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict everything you said today."

A lot happened this summer. I met a very diverse group of people, worked with great kids every day, had little time to myself, and made a very important decision. When I finish my MAT degree in Dec '07, I will no longer begin looking for a job as a teacher. Instead, I will be awaiting responses from various law schools to which I plan on applying. I'm scared--terrified, actually. But I'm excited about it at the same time--I love new things, and I thrive on change. My instinct tells me that this will be good for me, and it will make me happy in the end.

Four months ago, my life was completely different...and this upcoming year was looking much less exciting than it is now. The tornado hit and for the five weeks following that, my life was going downhill. Let's just say there was a severe lack of good karma. Slowly, everything worked itself out--in fact, the manner in which things worked themselves out really made it seem like things really do happen for a reason. Now I'm happier, I've returned to the self I haven't been for nearly two years, and I'm ready to focus on myself for awhile. I spent a little too much time putting my wants on the back burner the past two years, and it's time I gave them at least a bit of my attention:)

So there's my update for the summer. Let's hope I post more in the future. I'll relieve some stress as I prepare for the LSAT, I'm sure...

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay for time for yourself! Yay for returning to old selves (don't you wish that was easier?), yay for miss luscious luka catching up on everyone's blog (and blogging herself). Total wootness. Boo for being at work and unable to concentrate on work-related items. Who wants to go home and play The Sims? I do! Except that the game I've been playing for two years is corrupt and I'm probably going to have to start all over. I guess though that isn't too bad. New families, new relationships. Lots of work putting everyone through fricken college again. :( I bought The Sims 2 Pets though. Pets!!! That's right. I'm a dork. Okay here's a lovely message for you.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay for time for yourself! Yay for returning to old selves (don't you wish that was easier?), yay for miss luscious luka catching up on everyone's blog (and blogging herself). Total wootness. Boo for being at work and unable to concentrate on work-related items. Who wants to go home and play The Sims? I do! Except that the game I've been playing for two years is corrupt and I'm probably going to have to start all over. I guess though that isn't too bad. New families, new relationships. Lots of work putting everyone through fricken college again. :( I bought The Sims 2 Pets though. Pets!!! That's right. I'm a dork. Okay here's a lovely message for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home